Hello. You’re probably here because of PitchWars, right? Because you saw this link on my Twitter and decided that you, a fellow anxiety-haver, needed to see what I had to say? I’m sure that’s it.
I’m glad we got that out of the way.
Now that we have, let’s talk about anxiety. I have a lot of it! So much that I’m on medication for it! And I go to therapy! I’m sure a lot of you reading this feel the same way. With PitchWars on the horizon, it’s easy to psyche yourself out. This will be my first year submitting and I literally cannot stop thinking about it. I’m pouring over my manuscript every single day, terrified it isn’t good enough.
But that’s the thing about PitchWars, isn’t it? There’s nothing to lose by submitting and everything to gain. That’s what I keep telling myself. Nothing to lose, everything to gain. If you don’t get in, you don’t get in, but if you’re picked, then you’ve got a world of opportunity waiting for you.
From one anxiety-haver to another, here’s a handy list of how to manage your feelings in this terrifying and exciting time:
- Pet your dog. Or your cat. Or your bird. Maybe you have a rat. I won’t judge.
- Take a walk. Get away from your laptop.
- FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, BREATHE. BREATHE!!!
- Have some chocolate
- Stare up at your ceiling and count those weird paint rings that are always there. You know the ones.
- Punch your anxiety in the face
- Hug a pillow
- Scream into a pillow
- Write something else
- Or just stare at the PitchWars website until mentees are announced
- Maybe don’t do that
- Make lists
And perhaps, most importantly…
BELIEVE IN YOURSELF LIKE NARUTO WOULD. YOU CAN DO IT. WE’RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER, JUST LIKE IN HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL!